Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Chapter 1, Chapter 1, and... Another Chapter 1.

Writing a book is a funny thing sometimes. At some point in my drafting process, I ended up with two Chapter 1's. Both have elements that need to be in chapter 1, but they are completely different. Today I set out for the daunting task that I had been putting off since I realized this problem a few months ago: combining them.

The first version is long, boring, rambling, and has lots of statistics. The other version is a story, happier, hopeful, and has no statistics. When I set out to combine them, I tried lots of really ineffective ways to make this an easy process that required no rewriting. Well, dear reader, after four hours of work I eventually just shoved it all aside and wrote a whole new outline. It combined all the major elements I need, has the same story and hopefull-ness as well as statistics I need, and even included the things I forgot to mention in my first two tries. Not only that, but I think I nailed the tone I wanted for the chapter.

I am so excited. I could not be more pleased. (Unless, of course, I had actually finished the whole chapter. But outlines are the bulk of drafting for me.) I'm one outline closer to being done!

Also, since I now have three versions of the same chapter, they all have snazzy nicknames. In case you were wondering.

This adorable child whose picture I stole from Google Images expresses my feelings well.

3 comments:

  1. Oooo la la, I'm liking the snazzy nicknames part. I am a big fan of nicknames, and double Z words are my fave, so I also aprove of any jazzy nicknames you might have up your sleeve.

    My brain was yelling "INTRODUCTION! PROLOGUE!", but then I read "I wrote a whole new outline". My brain paused, I tilted my head to the side, blinked, and thought "Oh, smart cookie".

    This comment is really pointless, and... weird, I just typed whatever came to me. But, I haven't commented in a while and the "Recent Comments" sidebar needed a facelift. So, Ta Da!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha oh Shannon. :)

      The thought of an introduction or prologue is nice, but I don't know what would go there and why it couldn't go in chapter 1. Both of my chapter 1's were half the size of my average chapter, so it made sense to stick them together. And I took some of your suggestions :)

      And thanks for updating the recent comments section. I can always count on you and Aubry for that! :)

      Delete

Hello everyone! Thank you for viewing my blog. I'd like to have some guidelines for commenting, because it's very easy to get nasty on the internet without meaning to. I encourage you to comment, just remember one thing: I am a human being. I make mistakes, and I have feelings. That goes for me and all other commenters and readers and human beings. I encourage asking questions, as long as it's done respectfully.
Now please, comment away and enjoy my blog!
-Becca