Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What Writing Really Looks Like (or "Patheticness Embodied")

I was first introduced to the topic of abortion January of 2009 when I wrote a research paper on Margaret Sanger. In August of the same year I decided to write a book and began researching, then a few months later I actually began outlining. Ever since, "the book" has been weighing on my mind, causing me to carrying around notebooks for keeping ideas and lists of things to do and outlines, and making me spend all of my breaks from school writing in my room. When I talk to people about my writing, I would love for them to imagine me sitting in Starbucks, drinking a latte, wearing thick-rimmed glasses and with a thoughtful expression on my face. While I do go to Starbucks to write sometimes, I generally don't order lattes and I never look that cool. Most of the time when I write I'm at home, in my bedroom, alone, and looking pathetic. I wish the whole ordeal would look something like this:

Hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com 
Occasionally this is fairly accurate, but generally if I'm awake at 3:17 AM it's because I'm doing homework, and I can guarantee I never have that facial expression at that time or while doing homework. What's more, my posture while writing is far poorer than this picture depicts. Over the past year I've developed the habit of writing while sitting on my floor, ever since the pad on my desk chair fell off making it incredible uncomfortable. And when I say "sitting on my floor," I really mean curled up in a pathetic little ball of sweat pants and hoodie, under an electric blanket which is tangled with my computer cord, drinking my 3rd of 4th cup of coffee for the day, and forcing myself to remain still due to the caffeine and list of other things I'd rather be doing. There's usually a space heater, mismatching socks, a crooked braid in my hair, and two or three white boards with outlines and lists of facts involved. This has become a regular event for me, and it generally lasts 20 minutes-4 hours a day, depending on how much I don't want to be doing homework. Then once I begin homework, it, too, quickly spirals from me sitting in my armchair doing homework to slumped over in the same puddle of patheticness on my floor.

The only hope for me not becoming a hunch back by the time I'm 25 is either finishing this book in the next three days or fixing my desk chair. It's not looking too good.

Well there you have it. A mental image of me writing. I just wanted to clear that up for you in case you were picturing it all wrong.

8 comments:

  1. LOL!! I'm sorry, but that just made me chuckle a little bit:) I wish I could spend that much time on my blog or my music...

    Just so you know, writing music doesn't involve hip clothes, a cute notebook, and instant ideas, just like writing a book doesn't involve Starbucks, the latest version of Mac, and cute red glasses. Composing has involved sobbing at the piano because I can't think of anything, or writing a super duper loud song because I'm mad, or pulling out my hair because the issue I'm writing a song about just is getting to me. Creative people in movies are much cooler than creative people in real life=D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it made you smile :) It's so true though, writers of any kind are always cooler in our heads and in movies than in real life. Even on beautiful days I never leave my huddled position on my floor because writing outside usually consists of far too much set up then endless distractions. No thoughtful looking Becca at a park bench in the sunshine somewhere.

      I have so much respect for song writers. At least with writing a book you can just pump out words and go back and edit them later. With songs it takes so much more precision because you have so little room to convey your message. On top of that, my singing is far from beautious. I can't wait to hear your voice though! :)

      Delete
    2. Haha! I have so much more respect for authors, because it takes so much longer to write a book than it does to write a song. I just wrote a whole song today in like 25 min. and then the other day I wrote a whole song in about the same amount of time. So, it doesn't take too much discipline, you have an idea, you sit down (provided it works with what the rest of your family is doing) and you either write it all, write one line and can't think of anything else, or can't figure out how to say what you want to say and pull your hair out.

      P.S. I (finally) submitted my copyright over the internet so it should be faster than by mail, so I'm just waiting for it to be checked, hopefully sometime this week!!!:):)

      P.P.S. I feel like Becca right now because I'm working on my big paper about why liberals aren't liberating, I think I'm making believe that I'm an author or something=D

      Delete
    3. Yes!!! I can't wait to hear it, you have no idea! :)

      Hahaha :) Could I maybe read that when you're done?

      Delete
  2. WHERE HAVE I BEEN!?!?! I feel like I fell off the face of the earth or something. I should really be putting this into an email, but alas, once again, I Have. No. Time. Go ahead. *sniff* Analyze author and song writer stereotypes. Email deep thoughts about the Kony movement. Discuss adoption, and CPCs... without me. *sniff sniff*

    Totally kidding. :D But really, flibbershaboomalach, I have a lot to catch up on! Oh school, I beg of thee, end quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was getting concerned that you have fallen off the face of the earth! You and Aubry both. When are you done with school?

      Delete
    2. LOL, Shannon, you're too funny=P We would love an email if you have time for one=D

      Delete

Hello everyone! Thank you for viewing my blog. I'd like to have some guidelines for commenting, because it's very easy to get nasty on the internet without meaning to. I encourage you to comment, just remember one thing: I am a human being. I make mistakes, and I have feelings. That goes for me and all other commenters and readers and human beings. I encourage asking questions, as long as it's done respectfully.
Now please, comment away and enjoy my blog!
-Becca