Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Behold!


This was originally posted in June, 2011 using tumblr
***Edit: Oh snap! I said Peter, but this disciple is definitely John. Sorry about that. Also, this passage is John 19. Thank you, Michael, for the correction!***
Recently I’ve been obsessed with the word “Behold” and how it’s used in the Bible. I keep finding really sweet verses in the New Testament when “behold” is followed by something incredible. 
Today I found an extra amazing “behold.” When Jesus dying on the cross, suffering more intensely than I could ever comprehend, and taking on the sins of the world, he said behold. He said to his mother, Mary, “Woman, behold your son,” then to John, “Behold, your mother.” Awesome, right? Yeah, I know. 
Quite simply, Jesus was telling John to take care of his mother when He died. She was in her late 40’s or early 50’s, probably widowed, and had no source of income to provide for herself. Jesus was caring for His mother. 
It goes much deeper than that, though. Jesus was suffering intensely, dying on the cross, taking on the sin of the world, and He cared for His mother. When I’m going through trials and hard times, I use it as an excuse to get out of my responsibilities. Then from Mary’s perspective, this is an incredible moment. God took care of her, even when His perfect and eternal Son was dying. In moments that defined history and fulfilled thousands of years of prophecy, God did not forget Mary.
God doesn’t forget you, either. When it feels like the world is falling apart with earthquakes and tsunamis and fires and floods, you are never forgotten. The Maker of the stars wants to hold you.
The band Starfield has a song with the line, “I want to hold the hand that holds the world.” And the hand that holds the world wants to hold your hand. Let Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello everyone! Thank you for viewing my blog. I'd like to have some guidelines for commenting, because it's very easy to get nasty on the internet without meaning to. I encourage you to comment, just remember one thing: I am a human being. I make mistakes, and I have feelings. That goes for me and all other commenters and readers and human beings. I encourage asking questions, as long as it's done respectfully.
Now please, comment away and enjoy my blog!
-Becca