Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Wow, You're So Judgemental


This was originally posted in May, 2011 on tumblr
Today I had a funny realization. Well, I hope you find it funny, because to me it’s just shameful and embarrassing and a terrible reminder of my humanity. I was reading 1 Peter 2 (one of the most convicting chapters ever) and with each verse I felt like I was being pummeled with more conviction-stones. Verses 11-17 were hard for me to read, especially 17. “Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.” Short, sweet, to the point. And horrible. My thought process went something like this: I know some people who aren’t doing this. They are constantly judging and questioning authority. They act like they know everything about this situation, but I heard something else from so-and-so, so they must be wrong. How can they be so judgmental? 
Then came that terrible moment when I actually thought about what I was saying, put myself in the verse instead of everyone else but me, and realized how stupid I am. God likes to do this to me a lot, and I’m still not sure how much I appreciate it. (I’m definitely exaggerating here. Conviction is good, realizing my sin is good, I just hate the sting at first. For some reason believing you’re perfect is easier than working to get rid of sin in your life. Huh.) I was sitting there, Bible open, praying to God, telling Him all about how He needs to go convict this person of their ridiculous sins of ignorance, arrogance, and judgmentalness. I was being judgmental about someone else being judgmental about something that I obviously know nothing about. 
Ouch. 
A teacher at school recently talked about how easy it is for us to compartmentalize our minds. We know about all these sins, wrong ideas, false beliefs, then we place them in boxes in our minds and label them “BAD.” Then, when we meet people who subscribe to these false ideas and beliefs, we put them in those boxes. We lose discernment and begin judging. The person who God loves doesn’t matter any more, because we’re right and they’re wrong. And well, apparently I do this too.
I hope you enjoyed this. I didn’t. 
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello everyone! Thank you for viewing my blog. I'd like to have some guidelines for commenting, because it's very easy to get nasty on the internet without meaning to. I encourage you to comment, just remember one thing: I am a human being. I make mistakes, and I have feelings. That goes for me and all other commenters and readers and human beings. I encourage asking questions, as long as it's done respectfully.
Now please, comment away and enjoy my blog!
-Becca